Tours: Flavor Street: Portland Food Cart Tour
Check out Portland’s amazing curbside cuisine! Let our Resident Experts take you on a personal tour of the city’s best food carts, tasting trucks, and hidden kitchens, where former four-star chefs and other culinary entrepreneurs scoop up mighty morsels on an international scale. This isn’t fast food - it’s flavor with flair, for savvy munchers on the go.
What’s up with these food carts? You’ve read about them in magazines and seen them on TV shows like "The Great Food Truck Race," “Man vs. Food,” and Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" - and you’ve seen them on the streets. We’ll show you the best - not just the best-known. Join all of Portland’s foodies on this two-hour trek of tempting tastes, from the Mayor of Portlandia to the Timbers Army. You’ll laugh all through lunch!
Eat like a local. Portland didn't invent the food cart - we just perfected it. Sip, nibble, and taste for yourself as our Resident Experts (aka your personal tour guides) divulge the inside scoop on why Portlanders form block-long queues to the 700+ tiny tasting trucks dotting the cityscape, serving an incredible diversity of international and creative cuisines. No longer the province of pretzels and hot dogs, our local foodivores offer flavor temptations ranging in reach from African to Venezuelan, Cajun to Chicago-style and Maine to Malibu.
Visit the best, skip the rest. In two hours, we will visit three separate food cart "pods" and sample seven or more of the items selected (and rotated) by our staff. All the food & drink is included in the one price. On your own, with so much to choose from, it’s easy to make a mealtime mistake you’ll regret all week. Our personable, knowledgeable local expert guides will help you navigate the crowds and show you which meals are deals - and which queues to avoid. And, of course, along the way they’ll share the story behind the phenomenon that has changed city streets and parking lots into hip places for a posh nosh. You’ll never look at street vendors the same way!
Are you hungry yet?
(If you're a hardcore foodie, click here to join an Epicurean Excursion.)
Tour Dates & Times
Monday through Saturday, 1:00 PM (spring, summer, and fall)
Friday & Saturday, 1:30 PM (winter)
Meet at our box office indoors and under Pioneer Square (701 SW 6th Ave at Yamhill St). We have a comfortable waiting room with a restroom, something no other company in Portland offers.
Find convenient sheltered parking located at Smartpark on SW 10th & Yamhill.
Under 2 hours
About 1 mile, no hills or steps
Walk-ups are welcome, but warning: This is our hottest tour! And since each group is limited in size, we highly recommend you buy your tickets in advance.
While we are very good and always try to accommodate food allergies and dietary restrictions, some food carts may not have an alternative.
Prices and Buy Tickets Now
Prices (always without ticketing fees and sales tax)
- $59 All Ages (includes food)
Other Tour Dates
Topics to chew over
What you'll discover with us:
- Witness the constructive genius that cram full kitchens into improbably small spaces
- Understand the difference between pods and carts, and why Portland pods work
- Discover the stories of their proprietors--from struggling immigrants to culinary school drop-outs, to former 4-star restaurant chefs
- Get the inside scoop - right on your plate!
- Share in the history of the neighborhood AND the nibbles
- Experience the real flavors, people and culinary energy that you can only find in Portland
- Eat only the best! Distinguish the “posh nosh” from the same old, lame old.
- And more surprises.
Flavors you might sample
Guided by your personal "Resident Expert," in under two hours you’ll visit three separate food cart "pods" and sample seven or more of downtown’s best mini-kitchens. All the food & drink is included in the one price. Please let us know at the tour of any specific dietary restrictions so we can personalize the tour for your maximum enjoyment.
We have dozens of food carts that will change up the offerings on a regular basis! Just some of the incredible variety of things our local vendors offer include:
- Savory soups with sourdough bread
- Cajun Beer Chicken Chili
- “Snitzelwich” sandwiches
- Turkish toast
- Fish, fries, and French pastries
- Batterless liége style waffles
- Thai pasta
- Portabella Panini
- Mahi Mahi
- Comfort food: spaghetti, mac & cheese, meatball subs and chili
- Spicy delights from Cuba to Cambodia
- Gluten-free options you wouldn’t believe
- Ice cream, gelato, and other sweets - even popsicles!
- Everything from African, British and Czech to vegan, vegetarian, and Venezuelan
Private Tours available
Please contact us about discount rates for group tours that is just for your organization, family, or friends. The day and starting time are up to you.
Reviews & Kudos
- “[Flavor Street] Tour was amazing. Got some great stuff and Bob was GREAT! Thank you again Soooooooo much.”
- - Rae Miller, Blue Collar Kitten Magazine
- - Renee, Vancouver, WA
- “Great stories. I learned almost as much as I ate!”
- - Bob, Portland
- “The Flavor Street Tour of Portland's food carts is not to be missed!!! The variety of food carts we sampled from was great...lots of flavors to experience. We had such a fun time on our tour and I can't wait to book another one with Portland Walking Tours!”
- - Lara W., White Salmon, WA